We’re super excited to be producing the Red Bull Music Academy Sound System at Notting Hill Carnival this year. If last year was anything to go by we are expecting some flamboyant bass driven sounds to be oozing out from underneath the West Way later on today! The ethos and vibrant nature of carnival has been crafted into every last detail and we are really excited to be part of this event.
The ballot for the event is now closed, and for the lucky few that got their hands on tickets Basement Jaxx will headline. Joining them on the line up you’ll find bashment purveyors The Heatwave, Protoje & Yaadcore and much more.
To get into the spirits of things, here’s a mix from The Heatwave that celebrates 50 years of Jamaican music in Britain, plus a few random facts.
• The carnival was originally held in a small town hall, but now spans over 20 miles around West London.
• Notting hill carnival is now the second largest carnival in the world, just trailing behind the famous Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro, and is the largest street festival in Europe.
• Revellers get through a ton of rice and peas
• 16,000 coconuts
• 400 goats
• And more Jerk Chicken than you could dream of.
Drink consumed at carnival:
• 10,000 litres Jamaican stout,
• 5 million hot and cold drinks,
• 25,000 bottles of rum,
• 70,000 litres of carrot juice,
• 800,000 cans and bottles of drink.
Enjoy the carnival in good spirit and recycle where possible!